- wood is used for cabinet making, but not in Bali
- tree (Combretaceae), a medium to large tree found on the Bukit, but not common
- fruit said to be edibleavailable in the West
- related to much more common ketapang
- turmeric, or tumeric
- tumeric (Zingiberaceae) (Mider) (Noun)
- spear shaped, single, and alternate
- finger-like rhizome is a rather dirty brown on the outside, but is a bright orange-yellow on the inside
- small whitee flowers with disagreeable odor occur in spikes
- commonly used as a spice in Balinese cooking and to dye rice yellow
- ellipsoidal fruit up to 3 cm. long full of tiny seeds
- same as the turmeric powder generally
Bali dataran dialect
Bali aga dialect
Makunyit di alase.
Literally: Tumeric growing in the forest. Temu is a kind of rhizome that is of the same family as kunyit, but which is said to grow in the forest; matemu means to meet, hence this expression is a way of saying that one will meet someone.
Kunyit nenten je wantah anggen basa manten. Kunyit dados teler anggen tamba yening sida miwah dados anggen loloh.
Turmeric is not only used as a spice. Turmeric can also be used as a wound medicine and can be used as herbal medicine.
I Pekak sai kesemutan, jamu kunyit dadi anggon ubadne apang seger.
Grandfather often tingling. Turmeric herbs can be used as medicine for recovery.
⚙ Usage examples pulled from the Virtual Library
In Balinese: Toyan bungkak taler kaketisang, sinarengin antuk sarwa eteh-eteh sane suci minakadi beras lan kunyit.
In English: The series of ceremonies is more complex than Ngulapin.
In Indonesian: Rangkaian upacaranya lebih kompleks daripada ngulapin.