- neem (Azadirachta Indica)
- large spreading, semi-evergreen tree that grows rapidly, with spikes of 1 cm. diameter white flowers
- bitter bark is used as a tonic
- seeds yield an aromatic oil
Products made from neem trees have been used in India for over two millennia for their medicinal properties: Believed to be anthelmintic, antifungal, antidiabetic, antibacterial, antiviral and contraceptive, neem is a major component in Ayurvedic medicine.This popular tree prevents topsoil runoff and promotes sustainable agriculture by preserving water in the soil layers badly needed by farmers to secure ground water. The Intaran tree is one of Bali’s most respected plants and people sometimes clean their hands by rubbing them on the trunk, believing it to contain a natural antiseptic solution. In parts of Bali, Intaran is a genuine solution to the undesirable impact of uncontrolled chemical pesticide and fertilizer usage providing a natural alternative. The tree has tremendous capacity to absorb carbon dioxide and purify the air, making it a perfect tree for lawns and backyards. Neem tree can adjust to climatic changes easily and can be used in reforestation projects where it grows quickly and lasts long.
- The Power Of Neem Sukarno’s tree educates the next generation By Polly Christensen, Bali Advertiser, 2013